Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Hypebeast No More, My Final Thoughts and Personal Growth


For the past three years of my life, I was a consumer in society that is labeled as a hypebeast. According to Urban Dictionary, "A hypebeast is a slang for someone who is a beast (obsessed) about the hype (in fashion), and will do whatever it takes to obtain that desired hype, and the attention of others." Determined to be "cool," and gain the approval of others, I had fallen victim to the marketing of overpriced brands. Below is the stereotypical image of a hypebeast, and a fashion type of which i used to dress. 


The guy above looks like a total fool, and even worse his outfit costs over $500! Sadly, I used to own almost every single piece being worn in this image. I was falling into the abyss of a compulsive consumer, yet studying media and marketing helped me save my individuality and my money. 

Going into this unit of analyzing media and marketing, I would have never expected it to make such an impact on my life. Before exposing the slick techniques and motives of brands, I was a consumer mindlessly wasting his money on clothes that he didn't really want or need. I learned how the media was setting an impossible, ever-changing standard of cool that I so desperately wanted, but always failed in obtaining. I found myself losing interest in buying the latest sweatshirt or pair of shoes from some exclusive, over-priced brand. It's safe to say that my wallet is going to start getting a lot fatter now that I have broken away from being an obsessive shopper. 

On instagram, I used to follow tons of sneaker and clothing accounts. Every time I refreshed my feed, I would be bombarded by images of new outfits and pieces that I felt the instant need to own. I now realize how badly I was being brainwashed by these effective ads. I had the burning need to fit in, while also wanting to dress and look like I was in a league of my own. Influenced by these ads on social media, I was so concerned with looking "cool," that I allowed this set image to determine how I dressed and presented myself. Now that I know how little these clothing brands matter to my life, I'm not as attached to my social media, nor do I follow such accounts that blast relentless ads onto my screen. After this unit in Critical Thinking, I'm honestly less attached to the media and consumerism as a whole. I'm ashamed that I used to care so much about looking "cool," and even more embarrassed by the amount that I spent in chasing this empty dream.

I am definitely more media literate, and less of a consumer of it altogether. Whenever I see an ad, or even a movie or tv show, I now notice the subtle placements and messages that brands are successfully delivering to the masses. It is vital for people to understand the media, and in doing so won't be as easily influenced by its never-ending advertisements and images. Being media literate, will lead to people transforming into educated consumers. When consumers are educated, they don't allow themselves to make careless and wasteful purchases, or concern their time and money with looking a certain way. The general population is what gives the media its power, when people blindly follow, like, and buy into the trends and products that it shoves into our faces. Learning to detach from media's consumer oriented messages, will build our confidence in and ability to express our own individuality. 

Diving into media and advertisements' deceiving layers, I was able to grow more aware of the way that companies have successfully sent the standards of society. The never-ending quest to become "cool" and "popular," continues to drain people's money on a huge scale. I found that many of my blog entires were influenced by my experience as a mass consumer of hyped brands such as Supreme and Adidas. This media blog has guided my process of detaching from the world and mindset of a hypebeast. I'm proud to say that I've discovered more about my true self, and am not as quick to follow mainstream fads.

No comments:

Post a Comment